To say I had no idea how much a puppy is like a toddler is a grave understatement. I should preface this with a little information - you see up until now I have never had a dog. When I say never I mean never, not in my childhood or my adulthood. Life has always consisted of cat here and there and frankly cats are as independent as they come.
Jackson however is nothing at all like Riley the cat (who at 14 thinks we have perhaps lost our minds), not only is the puppy high energy but much like a toddler he constantly needs to go outside - no need to explain why. While we have been more than blessed with a dog that has slept through the night since arriving home at 2 weeks ago there have been moments when I feel as though I might loose my mind; for instance discovering Jackson decided to chew the corner of my beloved cedar chest. I have also learned Italian boots and favorite scarves belong on the highest shelf in the closet
While Jackson is only 10 weeks old I have to admit I have learned more than I could ever imagine, for one I never thought in a million years I would post about an animal let alone my dog. So here goes my top 5 lessons thus far.
1. I do have more patience than I thought I did
2. The same reinforcements we used with the little man in the toddler years work with Jackson as well (ie go potty and you get to play)
3. People are in love with puppies almost as much as babies; a trip to the Pet Store is not fast everyone stops and chats with you coos at the puppy oohs and aahs and says "I hope you are taking a lot of photos"
4. I am a wee bit enamored with this little creature who loves to curl up at my feet while I am in the studio and pounce about just because he is happy
5. I find great delight in watching my little man pounce about with his new friend, the thought that they will grow together is not only heartwarming but the beginning of an amazing journey
I hope you do not mind my brief reflection on the puppy days that I am experiencing right now, I truly had no idea how much life changes and how much happiness is added to the home when a little doge enters the picture